Question:

From Eagan, Minnesota, USA:

My mother-in-law has both diabetes and high cholesterol, and if I understand correctly, people with high cholesterol can have fruits, and less saturated fat to reduce cholesterol, but I also read somewhere not to any fruits until your blood sugar comes to a stable condition. Is that true? If so, how would I manage her diet in order to reduce both the cholesterol and control her diabetes?

I look for the amount of sugar in the food that she eats everyday, but I am not sure what else I should be looking for in terms of getting her food from the grocery store. Can you please tell me? Also, to tell you the truth, I believe she has the obesity problem because, she likes to eat a lot. (No offense to her, but that is the fact.)

Answer:

You sound like a wonderful advocate for your mother-in-law. I think that if you can go with her to her next doctor's visit, you should do so. Hopefully there can be a referral to a dietitian who can answer your questions and help work out a meal plan that your mother can live with.

As far as what to do in the meantime, limit her saturated fats and cholesterol-rich foods, so limit the use of butter, eggs, red meats. I do not see a problem with fruits, but again your best bet is to meet with a dietitian.

LSF

DTQ-20020420153739A