Question:

From Roseville, Minnesota, USA:

My 22 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a month ago, and probably about half of the people we tell reply, "can't she outgrow that?" Do you know why so many people think this?

Answer:

I think that the 'growing out of it' theme springs both from ignorance and from a general desire to appear both sympathetic and optimistic. At the moment, there is of course no growing out of type 1A (autoimmune), which I assume is what your daughter has, but I would be optimistic that within ten years, research will have developed surrogate insulin producing cells to overcome the lack of pancreas donors and with this greatly shortened and improved technics of permanent immunosuppression.

To some extent, 'growing out of it' could also be applied to type 1B or antibody-negative diabetes which is initially insulin dependent, but which can sometimes be managed after a few weeks or months with oral hypoglycemic agents or even with just diet and exercise. However, the condition is uncommon in Caucasian families.