Question:

From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

One evening, about three hours after supper, my 12 year old daughter was very sleepy and cranky, and complained of a severe headache so we checked a blood sugar which was 37 mg/dl [2.1 mmol/L]. Since then, we have been checking it periodically throughout the day (mostly when she gets that "yucky" feeling) and have gotten readings of 53-124 mg/dl [2.9-6.9 mmol/L], with most being 70-90 mg/dl [3.8-5 mmol/L]. The highest reading was about 30 minutes after a big carb meal.

She has been following a hypoglycemic diet, which I am sure keeps it from falling too low. We have a family history of diabetes on both sides, and my husbands levels have been in the 50s mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] a few times, so he may have hypoglycemia.

We do not have health insurance, but I have applied for Healthy Start on the advice of the doctor. What is your opinion on continuing to see specialists? Since it has been staying up, am I worrying too much? I don't want to put her through unnecessary testing.

Answer:

It would be more appropriate to review this situation with your daughter's pediatrician rather than going straight to a specialist. Your pediatrician will best be able to direct you to any testing or specialty care that may be necessary to help your daughter.