From Mumbai, India:

My child has type 1 diabetes. Is there any substitute for giving insulin other than these painful injections?

The only way to administer insulin is with a syringe. Injections are typically not painful if given with a new needle. I would suggest resting the needle point on the skin for a few seconds prior to pushing the needle under the skin. This will help to minimize any pain with the injection.

Please explore your options by reviewing Syringes and Injection Products on this site.

[Editor's comment: There is no need for injections to be painful. As Dr. Brown has stated, using a new syringe for each injection will help. In addition, make sure you are using the finest gauge needle possible. If you are not using it already, you might try using the Inject-Ease. You might also ask the doctor to prescribe EMLA Cream that will numb the injection site. SS]