Question:

From Absecon, New Jersey, USA:

What is the highest blood sugar level in a diabetes patient in the United States after being bought in to a hospital emergency room for treatment? Where would one find the answer to this question if you are unable to answer it for me ?

Answer:

HHNS (hyperglycemic hyperosmolar non-ketotic syndrome) is a well recognised, but rare complication of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. I doubt if it would ever be possible to discover the highest blood sugar ever recorded, but a question and answer at Ask the Diabetes Team cited a blood sugar level of 5600 mg/dl (311.3 mmol/L).

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA