Question:

From Florida, USA:

I am a 43 year old female who has had type 2 diabetes treated with Avandia and Glucophage for two years, but for the past six months my blood sugars have been very high (200-250 mg/dl [11.1-13.9 mmol/L] during the day, and at night it has gone up to 420 mg/dl [23.3 mmol/L]. I get very depressed. my body is in a lot of pain, sometimes at night my feet tingle, and I cant sleep. The doctor has given me a non-steroidal antiinflammatory medication, but I still have pain. What else is there for me to do?

Answer:

First, the blood sugars are not well controlled. Second, your physician can try several types of medications as treatment for the pain.

[Editor's comment: Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disorder, and you may need another medication and/or insulin if your blood sugars can't be controlled with the Glucophage [metformin] and Avandia [rosiglitazone]. Please consult your physician again, and if nothing changes, ask for a referral to a diabetes team who can put you on track. SS]

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2