From Bogota, Colombia, South America:

I am 38 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for about 29 years, and, at the end of last year, I had my first laser treatment in both eyes. This was my first complication related with my diabetes. However, last month a new eye study found that some blood vessels were not captured by the lasers and are dropping some blood in my retina. Is it important for me to have more laser treatments? I am asking this question because I had a lot of pain during my first laser treatment.

It is common to have some discomfort from laser treatment and the discomfort will vary from patient to patient. Laser treatment is usually done in sessions and only part of the eye is treated, and the remaining untreated eye lasered at a later date or when indicated depending on the doctors approach and the case. If the eye is still having vitreous hemorrhages and only part of the eye was treated, it is very important to treat the remaining untreated areas. Vitreous hemorrhage can lead to loss of the eye.