From Marianna, Florida, USA:

I have heard that different labs can have different normal ranges, and I once had an A1c of 9% (the previous one had been 7%) and was shocked, although the doctor didn't seem worried. The ones before and after (with different doctors but the same medication and general lifestyle) were lower. Is there a difference in lab results? Should I demand more explanation for those which seem screwy?

Different hemoglobin A1c assays (or ways the test is done) may have different reference ranges. I do not know if any of that was the case with your differing results.

[Editor's comment: You should always request the normal range for the lab doing the test, and if the result seems screwy, inquire as to why. The American Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Recommendations are that a target for A1c should be less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for the lab performing the test. So, if the lab's upper limit was 8% when your value was 9%, you would on target. However, if if the lab's upper limit was 7% when your value was 9%, you would not be. SS]

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c