Question:

From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

I am thinking about going on pump therapy. What are the drawbacks of this method of control?

Answer:

Pump therapy can be a great way of delivering insulin with marked improvement in blood sugar control and increased lifestyle flexibility. However, there is another side. I will give you my list of the issues "on the other side":

1. Need to commit time up front to learn how to use it.
  2. Need to have mastered lifestyle skills for treatment of diabetes. If you don't monitor, carb count, do well with sick days, or other basic care components, these need to be taken care of before starting the pump.
  3. More frequent monitoring is a necessity. Four times per day is a minimum.
  4. Additional issues are necessary for taking care of the pump. Need for pump supplies such as tubing, skin sites, interference of pump with other daily activities (job, hobby, leisure activity).
  5. No depot insulin around means lower threshold for DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis]. This means you have to stay on top of the high sugars.
  6. There is also increased cost associated with purchasing the pump and the monthly supplies.
  7. Better to have good sight, although this can be done with decreased sight.

If after all this I haven't persuaded you against a pump, you are probably a pump candidate.

[Editor's comment: See Insulin Pump Therapy and Is pumping for you? on this website. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps