From Amherst, Virginia, USA:

My 14 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for two years with good control, has lost 18 pounds since he had a virus for two days which sent his sugar reading up to 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L]. He is all right now, but is a picky eater, and I need to know what good food I can give him to bring up his weight.

I would focus on providing a well-balanced diet with fruits and vegetables and grains -- without too many simple sugars. I would have your pediatrician also following his weight. Your pediatrician should be able to help you decide if any further supplements are necessary.

[Editor's comment: I suggest setting an appointment with a registered dietitian (experienced in the care of teens who have diabetes) to develop an individualized healthy meal plan with your son that will be conducive to his food preferences, foster normal growth and development, assist with optimal blood glucose control. Your son's insulin regimen may need to be changed to match. If you do not have access to a dietitian, please ask your son's doctor for a referral. SS]

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss