From Canada:

I am a 46 year old female who has had type 2 diabetes for approximately a year (currently controlled by diet and exercise), and I have a family history. I was very thin as a child, but as a got to my teens, I adopted my mother's body type, carrying most of my excess fat in the middle. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I weighed 160 pounds and have lost 20 pounds now, but the fat around my middle is stubborn. I understand that the fact that my body's tendency to store fat around my middle is a contributing factor in heart disease as well as diabetes. If I have liposuction, removing the abdominal fat cells once and for all, wouldn't this improve my type 2 diabetes and reduce other associated risks?

It sounds logical to me, but I am embarrassed to ask my doctor who will think I'm just not trying to lose weight hard enough. Also I have heard that surgery on obese people with diabetes (stomach stapling) causes weight loss and does improve control.

It has been shown that liposuction can temporarily decrease the insulin resistance associated with increased abdominal fat. The question long-term is whether it will recur if you do not adopt a lifestyle that allows you to maintain the weight loss you desire.

Liposuction is invasive. If you have to have a lot of fat removed, it increases the risk. I am not a surgeon that performs that procedure, but I would be concerned it would require such a large amount of removal to increase the risk. In addition, I would be concerned it would only be a temporary benefit in helping to manage type 2 diabetes.

Posted to Surgery