Question:

From the USA:

I am a 42 year old female who has had type 2 diabetes for 21 years. I have had retinopathy for approximately eight years, which I have it checked every year, and, so far, have not had to have laser treatments. Does exercise and strenuous pushing and pulling affect the retinopathy?

Answer:

If you have retinopathy, I will assume that it is mild to minimal. Mild to minimal retinopathy is evaluated once per year, and I assume this is your doctor's recommendation. If this is the case, congratulations on your success!

If you have moderate or more severe retinopathy you need to be checked at more frequent intervals. Laser treatments are reserved for proliferative retinopathy, the highest level of retinopathy, and for macular edema which can occur at any level of retinopathy.

Strenuous activity of any sort that causes a rise in blood pressure or a tendency to hold one's breath, (Valsalva maneuver, can be a concern with proliferative retinopathy and caution is advised to avoid this level of activity.

If your retinopathy is at the lower level and your blood sugar and blood pressure are within normal limits, you may participate in all regular physical activities. I would advise you check with your diabetes team because they are most familiar with your situation and capabilities.

CAG

[Editor's comment: Also, see Diabetes and Your Eyes at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

DTQ-20020329205707A