Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

My brother and his wife have always had problems trying to get my nephew to eat certain foods, and for the last four years he basically has eaten the same thing -- macaroni and cheese and hot dogs. He was diagnosed with diabetes about 10 months ago, and I feel this is why he has developed it. Is it healthy to let him eat macaroni and cheese with every meal because that's the only thing he will eat?

He doesn't like meat and likes ketchup on everything. I was just wondering because I'm worried that eating macaroni and cheese it not good for his stomach. His stays constipated a lot and probably is not getting enough fiber in his diet. He stomach is bloated all the time, and I'm worried.

Answer:

There is no evidence at all that a diet dominated by macaroni and cheese and hot dogs can initiate type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes, which is what I presume that your nephew has.

Undoubtedly though, the poor fiber content could be a cause of his constipation. This particular problem may have more to it however than a rather stubborn dietary preference and it would be a good idea to have his parents schedule a visit with both the dietitian and the medical social worker on his diabetes team in the near future.