Question:

From Leven, Fife, Scotland:

I am a 26 year old diagnosed as having a slight problem with glucose tolerance about four years ago and was told by the specialist that my sugar should be controlled by diet only. However, over the years it has got gradually worse, and occasionally I have collapsed and had a blackout due to my sugar either dropping suddenly or climbing too high very quickly. Although I have been back at my doctors and had the occasional blood test, they never seem to find anything significant, other than a slight glucose tolerance. I always watch what I eat, and check my sugar regularly (normally 7-9 mmol/L [126-162 mg/dl] or 3-4 mmol/L [54-72 mg/dl] which is not too much of a problem most of the time, but I always feel tired and light-headed. Is there anything that I can do that may help control the feelings of lightheadedness and the feeling of being constantly tired? Is this a symptom of diabetes or perhaps something else?

Answer:

I don't have enough information to be specific. By having slight glucose tolerance, I assume you mean glucose intolerance. I would ask your physician to obtain a hemoglobin A1c test to determine your average blood sugar over three months. This would help to understand if your diabetes is controlled well enough or whether control is poor enough to require intensification. I would recommend you stay active, exercising, and eating appropriately.

[Editor's comment: Also, ask your physician if you have been checked for adrenal insufficiency and for hypothyroidism. WWQ]