I have had type 2 diabetes for four years now, and it is not under control. Diet and exercise are in place and have been for a while now, so its not that I don't exercise because I do. If your diabetes is not under control is it possible for you to lose weight and keep it off? If not, what should my doctor be doing for me to help lose weight and get it under control?

In type 2 diabetes, the goal should be both weight management and good diabetes control. Weight loss often aids glucose control by reducing insulin resistance, the hallmark of type 2 diabetes.

Weight loss goals must be reached with a combination of diet and exercise."Medical nutrition therapy" (diet) must be a treatment for type 2 diabetes for life, regardless of when the goal of ideal weight is reached. Medical nutrition therapy, individualized for you by a dietitian who is a Certified Diabetes Educator, will assist in managing both blood glucose levels and lowering cardiovascular risk factors (high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels). In addition, thyroid disease can also sometimes accompany diabetes and may make weight loss difficult. Your physician can screen for thyroid disease and can prescribe thyroid hormones if need be.

Glucose control is of absolute importance in diabetes, regardless of reaching your weight management goals. The key to controlling your blood sugar is in finding the right "tool", the most appropriate medication or combinations of these for you! Use your blood glucose meter to pattern your blood sugars throughout the day (fasting, before meals, one to two hours after meals, bedtime, and perhaps even during the night). Take your blood glucose log to your physician and express your desire for better control. Perhaps addition of an oral hypoglycemic agents or a switch to insulin is needed.

There are many options for management of blood sugars in type 2 diabetes. Continue to work with your physician and diabetes team until you find the right one for you.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2