Question:

From Greece:

My husband has type 1 diabetes and autoimmune hypothyroidism (probably Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome Type II). I would like to have information about our children's risk of inheriting diabetes or another autoimmune disease.

Answer:

The risk of hypothyroidism is much greater than the other endocrine deficiency states. Therefore, the risk will be greater than that of developing diabetes. I am not sure how high the risk goes, relative or absolute.

[Editor's comment: See The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes. SS]

Posted to Genetics and Heredity