Question:

I have recently been looking into donating a kidney to my father, but it's starting to look like I too may have diabetes. It runs in the family, I constantly have a drink in my hand, I urinate like 16 times a day, I have what appears to be digital sclerosis, I have numbness in my legs, fatigue, foot injuries have taken months to heal, etc. Obviously I need to be tested, but if I do test positive am I excluded as a donor? Why? Can diabetes mask its presence and go undetected in tests? Can a person go back and forth or be borderline? If I have mild diabetes can I donate a kidney? What are the risks? Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Answer:

If you have diabetes, you should not be considered as a kidney donor for your father. The reason for this is that the kidney is a target organ for diabetes complications. If you have diabetes, you have a greater chance of developing kidney failure in the future without the additional kidney. I would suggest that most kidney transplant programs would follow this recommendation.

The question can be easily answered with a blood test that measures the glucose level in your blood. Borderline diabetes is not a real term. Either you have diabetes or you do not have diabetes. Criteria are in place to determine this. If your glucose levels are clearly normal, it is likely you do not have diabetes.