Question:

From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

My ex-son-in-law says my 10 year old grandson is considered a radical diabetic because of the fluctuation of his sugar levels, and the child should be testing every 90 minutes. I have never heard of this; could it be true? I' m trying to learn the real facts.

Answer:

I've never heard the term radical diabetic. Labile (occasionally rapidly fluctuating) blood sugars can be problematic with diabetes in children. Good follow-up with your grandson's diabetes team and reviewing blood sugars with them on a routine basis should help to minimize that problem.

Testing every 90 minutes is not necessary. I would suggest testing before mealtimes, before bedtime, and occasionally checking a blood sugar one-two hours after a meal at the direction of your grandson's diabetes physician.