Question:

From California, USA:

I have just turned 14, but I have not started my period, or developed breasts. I look around and all my friends are way ahead of me. I have low thyroid, take pills, and for the last year, my blood sugar has been out of control so I am worried I will not go through puberty. How will my sugar levels affect my developing?

Answer:

Don't worry. Although most of your friends have been developing ahead of you (and getting taller) you will catch them up. Your doctor will be monitoring your growth and development so you should ask him/her to show you your growth chart and explain the 'pubertal growth spurt' to you.

You should also be having regular checks to ensure that your thyroid replacement treatment is right. Although diabetes control does affect growth, it has to be very poor indeed to impact on height.

One other thing that your doctor may do is to check your 'bone age' by doing an X-ray of your wrist. This test gives a lot of help in predicting final height. The heights of your parents (and information about when your mother began having periods) is also useful.