From Yucca Valley, California, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a year and half ago and have progressed rather well. I have lost weight, have done away with my insulin and lowered my oral medication to 15 mg of Actos daily. The only remaining problem I have (besides dreams of Milk Shakes) is my feet. The only way I can describe it is it feels like I'm walking on marbles, all the time. Will this ever go away? Should I take vitamins (B6 and B12) to help?

Is the feeling of marbles associated with decreased perception of touch when your physician evaluates your feet? It is often possible to have had type 2 diabetes for years prior to the initial diagnosis, and some people patients may have already developed neuropathy. If it is present, good blood sugar control may help the painful sensation. Loss of sensation is not always recovered.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Diabetes and Foot Pain at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]