From Norman, Oklahoma, USA:

Yesterday, I noticed that my seven year old daughter has two bald patches, the largest of which, on the back of her head, takes up about the same area as two to three quarters. She has much more body fat than her brother and sister, frequently complains of headaches, and seems to always be thirsty. This year, she has had four positive strep cultures. Both of my grandfathers had diabetes, and I had gestational diabetes. She has an appointment to see a doctor in two days due to my concerns. Are all of the previous symptoms, and histories, I described, indicative of diabetes? What should I do if the initial blood test (at 3:00 pm) does not suggest diabetes?

Bald spots are not a typical symptom of diabetes. There are many other causes of bald spots that your pediatrician should be able to help you sort out.

[Editor's comment: See symptoms of diabetes. SS]