From California, USA:

My 28 year old friend had gestational diabetes, and diabetes runs in her mother's family. She is currently living in Zimbabwe, Africa as a missionary, over the last few months she began developing recurring boils in her armpits, and she also seems very prone to infection. She has had ear infections, and throat infections. She currently has developed infection on her foot and has small "blisters" on her foot.

She had a non-fasting test for diabetes in Africa, because the doctor suspected diabetes, which they said was negative. In addition, she had one in the States while home (when taken to the hospital for another boil), and it was negative also.

Obviously, her immune system is suffering. They doctors in Africa say, "oh, its just a virus" and give her antibiotics. She has been on so many rounds of antibiotics in the last six months. Can you just give me your insight? I am concerned about her.

You don't need to wrack your brain about diabetes any longer. If random blood sugars were normal in Africa and in US at the hospital, this means that her glucose metabolism is actually fine. Nevertheless, given her story of gestational diabetes, I'd check her with an oral glucose tolerance test next time she is in the US.