From Palisade, Colorado, USA:

My eight year old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Before her diagnosis, she was is 4 feet 11 inches tall, and weighed 95 pounds. During the onset of diabetes she lost 17 pounds and had extreme thirst and urination. She has always been was always a child who was never satisfied with the amount of food she ate. Now, being on the insulin, she can control her hunger. I am concerned about a correct diagnosis. Could it be possible she has type 2 diabetes?

The symptoms of diabetes your daughter had when she was diagnosed, are very suggestive of type 1, and not at all typical of type 2 diabetes. It is extremely rare to see type 2 in an eight year old with the symptoms you are describing.