From California, USA:

I want to go to Indonesia, and I am worried about the heat and my insulin. Am I at greater risk of getting sick because of my type 1 diabetes? Practically, is going to Indonesia a good idea?

The main health risk in going to Indonesia is that you may pick up some intercurrent infection that is beyond the protection of routine immunisations. This could in turn precipitate DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] in a setting where appropriate medical care may not be available. Clearly, there is a spectrum of risk, and in the end, only you can decide on whether to accept it or not. If, for instance, you plan to stay a few weeks with a brother who is working for an oil company in Jakarta or going with a good friend to one of the resorts in Bali, then if you are in good control, have been immunised for typhoid, hepatitis, etc., and take adequate supplies with you, I believe that this could be a very successful adventure. If, on the other hand, you are going alone for sociological reasons, to explore village life or visit one of the more tumultuous districts like Aceh or Sumatra, then I would be hesitant. You will need some access to refrigeration for your insulin although there are reliable cooling packs to take on short side trips.

Posted to Traveling