Question:

From Cardiff, United Kingdom:

I have had type 1 diabetes for the past 12 years, and to be honest, have only recently been accepting of the consequences of bad control. My last A1c was 11% and has been around that level since diagnosis, despite varied routines.

At the moment, I am following a fairly low carb diet, which I know is not the norm, but I am fed up with constantly high blood sugars (11-13 mmol/L [198-234 mg/dl]). The response has always been to increase my insulin levels, but even then my sugar levels did not seem to go down. I am finding it very hard to get across to my diabetes team that I do not binge on sugary foods. Is it possible that I have an insulin intolerance as well as Type 1 diabetes since I also have PCOS? For instance today, I have taken my insulin, and have not eaten any carbohydrate at all, but my sugars have been steadily high all day? I want to avoid taking high levels of insulin as it exacerbates my PCOS. Is it possible that I have an insulin intolerance as well as type 1 diabetes since I also have PCOS?

I feel no ill effects of my diabetes, but know that I must get my levels under control to continue to enjoy my problem free life.

Answer:

If you really have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, you have insulin resistance, and maybe both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Ask your doctor about using Glucophage [metformin] (up to 2 grams a day) as another treatment. I would believe it will improve insulin resistance and make things better.

DTQ-20020522122303A
Posted to Daily Care and Diagnosis and Symptoms