Question:

From Nova Scotia, Canada:

My four year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eight months ago, has started to experience hypoglycemic episodes at night time. Her sugar level is dropping to between 1.3-2.3 mmol/L [23-41 mg/dl], between 2:00-3:00 am nightly, and she then rebounds to anywhere between 10.0-18.0 mmol/L [180-324 mg/dl]. She is currently taking 5 units of slow release and 2 units of fast-acting insulin at bedtime (8:00 pm) followed by her nighttime snack. Can you tell me the name of this condition? Is there anything we can change in her current routine to help prevent it?

Answer:

It may be that her night-time hypos are due to her insulin regimen, possibly the fast acting insulin she is getting in the evening. It is worthwhile speaking to your daughter's diabetes team as a change in the insulin dose or type may help to sort out this problem.

JS