From Nova Scotia, Canada:

My four year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eight months ago, has started to experience hypoglycemic episodes at night time. Her sugar level is dropping to between 1.3-2.3 mmol/L [23-41 mg/dl], between 2:00-3:00 am nightly, and she then rebounds to anywhere between 10.0-18.0 mmol/L [180-324 mg/dl]. She is currently taking 5 units of slow release and 2 units of fast-acting insulin at bedtime (8:00 pm) followed by her nighttime snack. Can you tell me the name of this condition? Is there anything we can change in her current routine to help prevent it?

It may be that her night-time hypos are due to her insulin regimen, possibly the fast acting insulin she is getting in the evening. It is worthwhile speaking to your daughter's diabetes team as a change in the insulin dose or type may help to sort out this problem.