Question:

From Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada:

When I mention blood work, my five year daughter panics and also gets very upset at the site of her own blood! Is there a test that can be done to diagnose diabetes (such as a urine test) that is less invasive than a blood test? Help!

Answer:

The answer is no! The presence of glucose in the urine is certainly suggestive of diabetes, but it is no way sensitive enough nor specific. One definition of diabetes is a fasting glucose level more than 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L], but glucose is usually not "spilled" into the urine until the blood glucose level is more than 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L]. So you can see that urine testing is not good enough.

We understand the desire to not have blood drawn. Fingerstick glucose levels can also screen, but a periodic blood draw from a vein is necessary to not only confirm glucose levels but to also check for other issues that can complicate diabetes.