From Santa Rosa, California, USA:

One of your physicians said that carnitine deficiency is not related to diabetes but it seems quite prevalent according a study I read. (See Winter SC, Simon M, Zorn EM, Szabo-Aczel S, Vance WH, O'Hara T, Higashi L. Relative carnitine insufficiency in children with type I diabetes mellitus.Am J Dis Child 1989 Nov;143(11):1337-9.) Do children with diabetes have any problems with fat metabolism that might tie into producing high blood sugars?

I have never seen a case of diabetes and concomitant carnitine deficiency in more than 25 years of pediatric diabetes/endocrine experience and more than 3000 kids seen.