Question:

From Atascadero, California, USA:

I am 24 years old, have had diabetes since I was nine, and I not had very good control of my blood sugars. I am wondering, if my wife was to become pregnant, would my lack of control affect the baby in any way (any kind of defect, or disease)?

Answer:

If a father has type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes, which I am sure you do, then the chances of this developing in your child before the age of 20 is about 7%. This is a little higher if it is the father who is affected than if it is the mother. Your poor control would not directly affect this risk.

Posted to Family Planning