From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

My son is currently seen in a diabetes clinic at the children's hospital, but they currently have around 100 kids to a physician. I would love to find a doctor who takes Medicaid and/or Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance, and I have not been successful so far. Are there any pediatric endocrinologists in my area in private practice?

Contact Blue Cross/Blue Shield and ask them if they have a pediatric endocrinologist in their network.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

It should be easy enough to:
  1. Look in the local yellow pages.
  2. Call the local medical society or American Diabetes Association affiliate and inquire.
  3. Call the staff at your son's primary care doctor, or even his current endocrinologist, and simply ask.

[Editor's comment: One hundred kids per physician really is a good ratio, and I doubt very much that any program will provide a lower one. Pediatric diabetes centers are usually teams composed of Certified Diabetes Educators (nurses, dietitians, social workers, etc.) who are extremely knowledgeable about diabetes in children and who work with the physicians. They typically are readily available to provide the support you need. In addition, pediatric diabetes centers offer a myriad of educational and social opportunities you will not find in the private practice setting.

If you are currently having problems with your son's diabetes team, I would suggest that you set up a conference to address your concerns. SS]

[Editor's comment: Also, see Finding a New Diabetes Doctor at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts that might help. WWQ]