Question:

From Texas, USA:

My friend and her eight or nine year old niece who has diabetes will be visiting me soon, and I want to have some snacks and food that she can eat. There will be other kids around, and I don't want her to feel left out when they are snacking on chips or any other junk food they might eat. I know that she has to count carbs, but I am not exactly sure as to what to do. Can you suggest any kind of snacks that I can buy?

Answer:

I applaud you on your thoughtfulness, and I agree with your intent to not leave your friend's niece out of enjoying "regular" foods or foods centered around social occasions. Counting carbs is important for kids with diabetes so I would encourage you to ask your friend's niece what she would like to work into her meal plan. Hopefully, given a few healthier choices, something will work for her. All foods can fit into a diabetes meal plan nowadays; more importance is placed on portion sizes than "good food" vs."bad foods"

JMS