Question:

From St. Louis, Missouri, USA:

Our daughter has had type 1 diabetes for nine years and has been covered by my husband's insurance, but he just recently lost his job after 23 years. We also have four other children who have no major illnesses, and all I keep hearing is that the insurance companies will insure everyone except my daughter who has diabetes! We do have COBRA available and will maintain this while we are searching, but it is so expensive, and now there's no income. Do you know of any resources for insurance companies that offer individual policies covering children with type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

Like most states, Missouri offers a state sponsored health insurance program for children. It is administered through the Medicaid program, and, by law cannot require any pre-existing condition waiting period. You can learn more about this program at Missouri's Health Insurance Program for Children. Give that there are five children in your family, I think that you might qualify.

The only other option is to take a family policy with your regional BlueCross/BlueShield plan. However, be prepared for them to require a pre-existing condition waiting period for treatment of your daughter's diabetes.

DSH

[Editor's comment: See Paying for diabetes expenses at the Diabetes Monitor, and similar questions about insurance for some other answers. WWQ]

Posted to Insurance/Costs