Question:

From San Antonio, Texas, USA:

I had a three hour sugar test during which the first two values were high (201mg/dl [11.7 mmol/L] and 153 mg/dl [8.5 mmol/L] ); the third one went to 45 mg/dl [3.5 mmol/L]. The doctor said I have hypoglycemia and put me on a high protein diet, but my sugar goes up high still and does not always go to low. What should I do?

Answer:

If the first blood sugar was 201mg/dl [11.7 mmol/L] before you drank the glucose, that level is high enough to be considered diabetes. However, it would need to be repeated to verify the diagnosis. If you have diabetes, a high protein diet is not good enough, in terms of the treatment you should receive.

I would discuss these results with your physician, raise the question about whether you really have diabetes, and then learn what you need to do to take care of yourself. The low glucose later on is not specific for anything.

[Editor's comment: It's not clear if your value of 201mg/dl [11.7 mmol/L] was before swallowing the glucose, or afterwards. If the high value occurred afterwards, and if the fasting value was normal, there are some unusual situations, unrelated to diabetes, that might have caused these results. For example, if the patient has had surgery that removed most of the stomach, this sort of result could happen. WWQ]