Question:

From Cohasset, Minnesota, USA:

Our daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for less than six months, will be starting school this fall, and we've been informed that they won't provide the care she may need. They transferred our daughters to a different school in our district, but not in our community.They tell us that they send all special needs students to this school because there is a nurse there full time, and there is only a nurse at our school for two hours of the day.

We had them switch them back to our local school because we want them to attend the school in our community which they're already comfortable with. I've rearranged my schedule so that I can provide the needed care when the nurse won't be there. Do they have the right to do that to us? Our principal said yes because they are providing the needed care, and that they don't have to bring the needed care to us because the district can't afford it. Is there anything we can do?

Answer:

It might be easier to just leave things as they are and see how this year in school goes, as long as you are able to be available. Perhaps by a pager or cell phone in case there is a need. The teachers, of course will need to be aware of emergencies that might come up.

LSF

Posted to School and Daycare