From Cupertino, California, USA:

I am 27 years old, athletic (former college wrestler), and have never been overweight at any point in my life, but several months ago, I was diagnosed with either type 2 diabetes or MODY. I am still confused with my diagnosis, as well as the importance of knowing the difference. In addition, recently I was diagnosed with hypogonadism (low testosterone levels). Is this connected with diabetes or vice a versa? My doctor suggests they are not, but they both surfaced at the same time.

Type 2 diabetes is not considered an autoimmune disease so it is probably not connected to your hypogonadism.

[Editor's comment: Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young is a specific genetic disorder that can be tested for through HLA typing. There are several varieties and it is a genetic defect.

Given your physical stature and hypogonadism, it is also possible that you are in the early stages of developing Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA). To screen for this, you can ask to have antibody testing for ICA 512/IA2, GAD 65, and insulin autoantibodies.

The bottom line, however, is: It really doesn't make much difference what kind of diabetes you have, as long as you're on top things and stay in control. SS]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses