Question:

From Lee's Summit, Missouri, USA:

My 17 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago, is on very little insulin, and her blood sugars are normal 90% of the time. I know that she is in a honeymoon right now, but in the past month, she still has lost one and a half pounds. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

It depends if she is trying to lose weight, and so is not eating. If she is well and has good glucose control, I wouldn't be too concerned. Why not talk it over with her and see what she says about her weight? Try not to be confrontational, but try being genuinely concerned.

[Editor's comment: If her weight is reasonable for her height, I would not be at all concerned. You might sit down with your daughter and her dietitian to assure this is true, and adjust your daughter's meal plan if she seems to need more calories. SS]

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss