Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I have hypoglycemia along with severe allergies, and, when my doctor changed my allergy medication, I began having frequent sugar problems. I would get the tell-tale headache, panic, sweating, and nausea that signals that I am having a sugar attack. So, I drank some orange juice, had a snack, and then I was fine.

These attacks are occurring as though I am not eating, although I have not changed my eating (or stress, exercise, or environment) habits at all. Under doctor's advice, I immediately stopped take the new medicine for three days, but then I took it again, and the same thing happened. Can allergies or some allergy medications affect previously controlled hypoglycemia?

Answer:

I am not aware that this is a common reaction for this medication. Medications that have decongestants in them can make the symptoms of hypoglycemia worse. However, antihistamines can cause you to have a dry throat and dizziness.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other Medications