Question:

From Cupertino, California, USA:

I am 27 years old, and several months ago, I was diagnosed with either type 2 diabetes or Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young. I am currently taking no medications and have good control (70-90 mg/dl [3.9-5 mmol/L] fasting and 140-160 mg/dl [7.8-8.9 mmol/L] post meal), but recently the my blood sugars have been higher (90-100 mg/dl [5-5.6 mmol/L] fasting and 140-200 mg/dl [7.8-11.1 mmol/L] post meal. If I have to use something to counter a continuing rise in blood sugars, I would prefer to inject insulin since the drugs that I have taken made me feel terrible. Is this reasonable?

Answer:

I would suggest you speak with your physician about all choices. The problem of giving insulin early in the therapy is not blood sugar control but weight gain and the potential for increased insulin resistance over time. Several of the oral hypoglycemic agents used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes help your body respond to the insulin you already make.

DTQ-20020604170339B