Question:

From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:

For the last three months or so I have been getting headaches after I eat simple sugars and sometimes when I eat complex carbs, which last for about 10 minutes. I also have some symptoms of hyperglycemia but not all (dry itchy skin, blurred vision and thirst). Could I have hyperglycemia?

Answer:

There are several possible causes for the symptoms. I am not sure it is hyperglycemia, although it certainly could be. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is more likely to cause these symptoms. In addition, I have seen these symptoms in patients who have no other remarkable disease or findings. Ask your doctor to check your fasting blood sugar level, and, if possible, during the symptoms you report.