From Everett, Washington, USA:

My close friend's eight year old son, just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, loves baseball, and I wondered if there is information about any major league baseball players with diabetes.

In the past 3 months Diabetes Interview had a feature on celebs with diabetes. On the cover was a major league pitcher for the Orioles, Jason Johnson.

Additional comments from Delaine M. Wright, Clinical Exercise Physiologist:

I am afraid that I can't answer your question directly as I do not know of any specific book (or baseball player with type 1 diabetes) such as you seek. You may wish to contact the DESA, Diabetes, Exercise and Sports Association, which is an excellent resource and may be able to assist you in your search. Your friend and her son are very lucky to have your support.

[Editor's comment: For starters see: Ready to Play, FamousDiabetics: SPORTS, and O's Pitcher Is A Sweety Bird. SS]