From Troy, Alabama, USA:

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and since my four year old granddaughter is 25 pounds overweight and loves sweets, out of curiosity, I tested her blood sugar which was 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L]. Should she be considered at risk? Would it be prudent to have her checked by a physician, pediatrician or a specialist?

Since your granddaughter is overweight, and you have type 2 diabetes, she is at risk. Help her family adopt a new lifestyle of more physical activity and less food.

[Editor's comment: See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]

[Editor's comment: Testing for diabetes should include blood sugar levels performed by a medical laboratory. The timing of the sample (fasting, random, or postprandial) would influence how high a level is considered abnormal.

Home glucose testing, if done, might show elevated sugar levels, which would make the situation more urgent to get lab testing done to confirm the abnormal results. However, home glucose testing, if negative, would not exclude diabetes. WWQ]