From Ohio, USA:

My wife found out her mother and father have diabetes, and her maternal grandmother also has it. How much of a chance would she have of developing diabetes? Is it inherited?

You are probably referring to type 2 diabetes. With both a mother and father with type 2 diabetes, I think your wife's chance of developing it is about 75%.

Although she cannot change her genes, she can reduce other risk factors by keeping he weight in the normal range and keeping as active as possible.

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) for more information. SS]

Posted to Genetics and Heredity