From Spencerville, Ohio, USA:

Is heat stroke common with type 1 diabetes? My 21 month old son had an episode at the zoo that was very scary.

As far as I know, heat stroke, per se, is not more common in type 1 diabetes. However, it is easy to imagine that if someone with diabetes were ill or was otherwise in sub-optimal control on a hot, sunny day, then the dehydration that tends to accompany diabetes in these situations (from all the increased urination that occurs as the kidneys try to excrete the higher blood glucose) could then add to or enhance a chance of heat stroke.