From Illinois, USA:

My 12 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago, and we want to take our first camping trip since the diagnosis to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. My concern is storing the insulin. We will have a cooler available, so I plan on putting it in a sealed container in the cooler when possible. However, we will be doing some hiking and will be out for the day. How do I store the insulin in this case? Does altitude affect blood sugar levels? Any other tips for camping would be appreciated as I am a bit nervous to take this trip with him.

Actually insulin can be without refrigeration for up to a month as long as you keep it cool, so keep it in the cooler as much as you can. Altitude should not affect the blood glucose readings unless you are avid mountain climbers and going into very high elevations. However, do keep in mind all of the excitement of the trip and being out in the open may cause more low blood glucoses, so plenty of checking is best.

One thing I have found from camping is that the "gorp" stuff is deadly! You think you are doing so much activity and need the calories, but that stuff is really good and easily eaten, but it is laden with carbohydrates and causes elevated blood glucoses pretty easily. What other advice? Have a great time! My parents said that each day could be an Uncle Wiggly adventure, so I take that it means to go out and enjoy life and take the needed diabetes precautions, but do enjoy life.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Carrying Cases. SS]

[Editor's comment: A discussion of possible ingredients for "GORP" (Good Old Raisins and Peanuts) can be found at Food for the Outdoor Experience. WWQ]

Posted to Traveling