From New Zealand:

My three year old nephew recently saw an iridologist who has said that he has:

• A lesion in the pancreas,
  • Slight adrenal exhaustion, and a
  • Hyperactive nervous system
He recommended that my nephew be given 1/4 of a vitamin B complex tablet daily for the next year, and has advised that if this treatment does not occur before he is five, then it is too late to prevent the onset of diabetes. His paternal grandfather has diabetes, and it was with this in mind that the assessment was made.

My sister is concerned whether giving him such a supplement on a daily basis could be harmful so she would like to determine whether there is merit in this approach.

Iridology is a system of alternative medicine that bases diagnosis on the pigment patterns and distribution on a person's iris. Treatment is dependant on herbs, vitamins and other nutrition supplements. If your sister were to talk to her own doctor, I think that he/she would agree that these diagnoses are wholly without foundation in terms of orthodox medicine. However, a quarter of a tablet of any 'over the counter' B complex would be harmless and might indeed provide a measure of reassurance.

Your sister should also know that it is very probable that her son's grandfather almost certainly has type 2 diabetes which has quite a different cause from type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes which is by far the most common form in children of Caucasian background in New Zealand.

I think it might also be important to try to sympathetically understand why your sister should need to turn to this form of advice in a country which enjoys such a high standard of conventional health care. This could be important at a future date.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations