Question:

From Jamesport, New York, USA:

My blood sugar was 117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L] after a 12 hour fast, and my doctor said that this is a little high. Is this considered prediabetes?

Answer:

Yes, 117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L] is high for a fasting blood glucose. It indicates you do not have diabetes, but are at a high risk of developing it. We do not know the time line for how long until you might develop diabetes, but I assume you are an adult, so it may be several years down the road. Please ask your doctor more questions and go back for another test (probably in several months) to be sure your fasting blood glucose is not over 125 mg/dl [7 mmol/L].

LSF

[Editor's comment: See Prediabetes at the Diabetes Monitor, and Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. SS]