Question:

From Portland, Oregon, USA:

I've been doing some research and found that the spleen may play a role in getting diabetes. My dad's spleen was removed and not too long after he got diabetes. Can you please tell me if the spleen really does play a significant role in getting diabetes?

Answer:

You don't say why your dad had the splenectomy, but it is possible that it was for Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), an autoimmune condition which is linked to type 1A diabetes.So it is possible that your dad has a rather late form of what is now called the Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome Type II. hypothyroidism is another very common component of this.

DTQ-20020501135109B