From Nevada, USA:

My doctor has prescribed insulin and needles but told me to hold off for a month or two until all of the tests are done, and I want to practice using the needle before the insulin treatments start. Is there any safe, over the counter, fluid I could load a needle with to practice injecting myself with before I start with the insulin?

Your pharmacist may be able to give you sterile saline solution to use for practicing. I would review this with your physician and diabetes educator prior to starting to practice.