Question:

From Port Washington, Wisconsin, USA:

My three year old son is constantly asking for water, drinks a lot, urinates often and has very little bladder control (he wets his pants and bed). He is always hungry but rarely eats a lot. However, he also loves candy and sweets. He tested for negative diabetes, but given the symptoms he continues to have, we can't help but think there is more to it. His doctor told us not to worry because this is normal at his age. Is there something more we should be doing or looking for?

Answer:

You don't tell us what tests were done, but assuming that your son's fasting blood sugar and a dipstick test for glucose in the urine were normal and that he has continued to grow normally, I don't think that there is any need at the moment for an antibody test for type 1 diabetes.