From Portland, Oregon, USA:

Diabetes runs in males in my dad's family. My grandpa had it, and now my dad does. Since I am a female does this mean that I am at high risk for getting diabetes even though it runs in the males? Should my brother be concerned?

It is really rather important to know what kind of diabetes your grandfather and father had. Supposing they were both rather overweight and developed diabetes in middle age, then you and your brother would both be at risk for the same diagnosis (type 2 diabetes). However, you could do a great deal to fend off the problem by being careful not to become overweight and by taking regular physical exercise. There are a number of tests including just a fasting blood sugar that you could ask your doctor about, if only for reassurance.

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP). SS]

[Editor's comment: The risk of type 2 diabetes is pretty much equal between men and women. WWQ]

Posted to Genetics and Heredity